Search This Blog

11.30.2010

TDays Over Yet the Gravy Remains

This topic made the cut on my crafty blog because the subject is loosely related to fabric care. Specifically - tablecloth and napkin care. Although Thanksgiving had gone, the grease stains on my napkins were stubbornly sticking around, despite a number of washes. It was time to hit the web in search of answers . . .

And what I found was this incredible website - Mama's Laundry Talk. Before reading further, you should probably know I'm slightly OCD, especially when it comes to laundry. I was pretty much in heaven when I found a site devoted entirely to laundry. I mean, how awesome is that? Now, I'm not trying to go all June Cleaver on you, but I really do feel that in this high-tech world, doing laundry correctly really has become a lost art.

The site covers basics such as:
  • Size of Loads and Starting the Washer
  • Choosing Water Temperature
  • How to Choose the Washing Cycle
  • How to Sort Clothes
And the section on folding - be still my heart!

But back to the original problem - butter and gravy stains. MLT had the answer on that as well. A lovely post devoted to how to remove grease stains. Hello Dawn! I've copied the basic info below but follow the link to view the full post!

  1. Saturate the stain in Blue Dawn Dish Soap. While it has never happened to  me, I understand that some of the other scents of Dawn can stain clothes.  So I always stick with Dawn Original – the blue one. Place enough Dawn on the stain to cover it completely and then gently rub it in with your finger.
  2. Wash the garment as you usually would. If it can tolerate washing on a normal cycle, then do so.  The agitation of the washer will help eliminate the stain.  If it is a garment that can only be washed on a delicate setting, try using that setting first.
  3. Hang the garment to dry – do not dry in the dryer! This step is vitally important to removing grease.  Your eyes will play tricks on you.  While the item is wet, you’ll be certain you don’t see the grease stain any longer.  But once it’s dry, it can possibly ‘reappear’!  So please remember to hang dry.
  4. After the item is dry, examine the grease spot in a bright light. Is the stain gone?  Can you see any traces of it?  If not, great!  If you can still see the stain, go on to the next step.
  5. Re-wash the garment using these same steps all over again. I know this seems a little ‘high-maintenance’ but if you’ll hang with me, you can get rid of the stain! (hopefully).  If you washed the garment on the delicate cycle, try washing it on a ‘normal’ cycle this time.  If you washed it on ‘normal’ the first time, you can try increasing the agitation of the cycle, washing on a ‘heavy-duty’ cycle or whatever your washing machine offers.
  6. Continue this process until the stain comes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Come back soon!